Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Purpose

For a while now, I've been contemplating that command of Jesus, "Go, sell all you have and give to the poor, and come, follow Me."

And then there were lots of articles about how children who grew up with lots of toys are physically, emotionally, and spiritually confused and handicapped by their abundance.

And I grew up with lots of stuff. Not necessarily expensive stuff, but lots of it. In telling a certain man about my father's hoarding, he looked at me and said, "You're a hoarder, too." And I had to admit that he was right. I am. I keep things which I do not find beautiful nor useful.

And then there's the Montessori ideal of a "prepared environment."

I have not kept all the commandments, like the rich young man in the story in the synoptic Gospels, but I am coming to admit to myself that if I really want to know Christ, there's a mountain of Stuff and Self in the way.

I hope this will be a blog about getting rid of at least part of that mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment